Shakshuka is an Israeli dish made with eggs and tomatoes. The recipes vary a lot, you can add lemon, fresh herbs, peppers, harissa, labne… I have completely improvised this one, and I ate it with halloumi. It turned out really good!
– 2 fresh or canned tomatoes
– 1 clove of garlic
– 1 teaspoon of cumin
– a pinch of thyme, rosemary
– a pinch of sumac
– some pine nuts
– 2 eggs (organic preferably)
– fresh parsley
1. In a pan, fry the chopped garlic in olive oil.
2. Add the diced tomatoes, and the spices. Salt and pepper.
3. Once the sauce has simmered well, break the eggs in the pan, and add the pine nuts.
4. Serve once the eggs are cooked but the yellow is still runny, add pinch of sumac to finish, with some fresh chopped parsley.