I was invited as part of the agricultural show to a dinner by chef Giuseppe Morabito, with the chain production of Montbéliard and Morteau sausages (typical French smoked sausages). I left with my hands full ! I decided to cook the Morteau sausage in a pot-au-feu, and I wanted to try an original dish with the Montbéliard sausage. I totally improvised and I’m pretty happy with the result, the stuffing was delicious, the grilled sausage married perfectly with the artichoke puree . The only downside is that the sausage is very salty, so be careful to balance the dish! Arm yourself with patience, however, I spent at least two hours cooking!
The Ingredients (for 2 plates)
– 8 medium squids
– 1 Montbéliard sausage
– tomato sauce
– 1 cauliflower
– 5 artichoke hearts
– 1 large vitelotte (purple potato)
– 1 onion
– 1 clove of garlic
– cumin powder
– chilli powder
– sage (fresh or dried)
– 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- Remove the head of the squid with its bowels. If the head stands alone, you can always drain the squid by pushing it.
- Remove the bone gently pulling. If it breaks, also remove the other piece to the bottom.
- Detach the two fins and pull the skin out.
- Turn the bag inside out to be sure it is well emptied.
- On the heads, cut the tentacles just after the eyes, and remove the round and hard nodule, and the longest tentacle.
- Rinse with clear water. You can also grab the ink bag for a risotto or pasta , which is in the middle of the belly.
- Brown the sausage in a frying pan (without stitching).
- Cut it in half. Cut one part into small pieces.
- Put it into the saucepan with the onion, garlic, sage, cumin, tomato sauce, chili, soy sauce, and pepper (no salt !).
- Reduce it in a mixer. Stuff the squid with it.
- Cook the vitelotte in salted water. Cook the artichoke hearts (I had them frozen ) 10 minutes in the same water.
- Mash them together, with a little bit of the water and some butter.
- Cut the other half of the sausage into thin slices.
- Sauté in a pan until they are crispy.
- Fry the squid in the sausage fat for 10 minutes, turn them around.
- Mount the puree on the plate with the grilled sausages, squids and the cauliflower cut very finely.
Wow, ça a l’air vraiment très bon et le dressage est magnifique. Les encornets en deviennent tout mignons :)